Saturday, December 17, 2011

Artist Interview With Eric Fox

Kyla Gayle
Prof. Rose
HUN 195 Art in New York

Artist Interview with Eric Fox
                Eric Fox is a High School teacher and currently teaches at Queen High School for Teaching. He was my art teacher and helped me create my portfolio while I was in High School, and is an artist I look up to. I am proud to say that for my internship I will his Teachers assistant starting in January. I interviewed him because I knew him on a teacher student level but not really on an artist to artist level.
1.       How did you get started ?
My father was an artist and still does free lance work today. I look up to my father and I think his love for art was passed down to me. He took me to the MET and other museums as a child, and I just loved it and decided to go to school for it.
2.       Why did you become a high school art teacher instead of a Professor at a college ?
Well in have the qualifications to become Professor but I would rather teach High School, even though they can be immature at times, it’s nice to see them grow into young adults and its even nicer to see their art develop.
3.      How do you feel about being an art teacher in New York, knowing that they get fired first if the school is running low in funds?
Well to be honest I’m not worried about my job because this school is pretty new, but since 2008 more of our students have been accepted in to art school with scholarship and since this is a small school once the other students hear about that they want to create a portfolio. I was able to set up a senior art class for the seniors who want to take an extra art class or for the juniors who want to create a portfolio. So to answer your question our art program is growing and I’m not worried about my job.
4.      Who is your favorite artists and why ?
My favorite artist is Chuck Close, because I love his style and the way he makes portraits modern.
5.      Do you continue to go to art classes ?
Yes, I continue to take classes to work on my skills. My favorite class to take is life drawing because I can’t do much with that teaching high school.


No comments:

Post a Comment